Crystal meth is a powerful and dangerous drug that can lead to devastating consequences. Given the sinister nature of this substance, it is imperative that those addicted to meth find help as quickly as possible. However, many people wonder how to detox from crystal meth safely while keeping withdrawal symptoms and cravings at a tolerable level. Thankfully, Detox Nashville offers effective crystal meth detox in Nashville, Tennessee. This program allows these individuals to undergo withdrawals in a secure and medically-monitored environment.
What is Crystal Meth?
Methamphetamine or crystal meth is a type of synthetic stimulant. Also known as crank, ice, shards, or glass, this drug causes detrimental damage to an individual’s appearance, health, and relationships. Typically smoked or snorted, crystal meth can lead to sores, tooth decay, and even heart damage.
Those on meth tend to feel a sense of paranoia, confusion, and anxiety. As a result, users may become violent or encounter severe insomnia. Furthermore, they are more likely to engage in risky behavior or make dangerous decisions. Sadly, crystal meth use often leads to overdose and in many cases, death.
Crystal Meth Withdrawal
When a person detoxes from crystal meth, the body and mind are allowed to reset. As a result, an individual can begin addiction treatment with health and clarity. Unfortunately, this necessary process coincides with unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Those detoxing from meth commonly experience the below side effects:
- Feelings of depression and hopelessness
- Heightened cravings
- Increased appetite
- Suicidal thoughts
- Dry mouth
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Bouts of jitteriness
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Extreme sleepiness
It is important to note that while these symptoms sound tasking, the benefits of sobriety far outweigh the temporary discomfort of detox. Additionally, these symptoms do not have as much potential for physical damage. In fact, in most cases, they are not as consistently severe as the withdrawal symptoms associated with substances such as opioids and alcohol.
Meth Withdrawal Timeline
Meth has a half-life of approximately 10 hours. Given that this is generally short, withdrawal begins within 24 hours of an individual’s last use. During the preliminary stages of withdrawal, individuals can expect anticipatory feelings of fear and sadness as well as cravings. Research shows the withdrawal timeline for meth to be notably consistent in users, with the majority of people showing peak symptoms within 7 to 10 days.
In this stage, individuals are most likely to experience the most extreme withdrawal symptoms, such as hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, and severe cravings. Following the peak of withdrawal, individuals experience a lesser degree of side effects as symptoms begin tapering off. Overall, the entire crystal meth withdrawal timeline spans between two to three weeks.
What Medications Are Used in Nashville, TN?
Detox Nashville uses medically-monitored detox in order to set our clients up for success. For instance, we administer closely monitored doses of the appropriate medications to those in our crystal meth detox program. As a result, the risk of relapse reduces and the chance of long-term abstinence from drug use improves.
Though no medication has been specifically designed and approved by the FDA to treat the withdrawal symptoms of meth, there is evidence that several medications can help improve the associated side effects.
Drugs commonly used during meth detox include:
- Modafinil (Provigil): A mild stimulant, modafinil helps to balance sleeping patterns while also improving concentration and enhancing energy levels. Commonly, the medication treats narcolepsy and ADHD. However, it has proven successful in aiding those undergoing crystal meth withdrawal.
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin): Primarily used as an antidepressant or to help people stop smoking, research shows that this medication can also help reduce withdrawal symptoms and lessen cravings in crystal meth users.
- Mirtazapine (Remeron): With research supporting its role in relapse prevention, mirtazapine is another substance given to those in meth detox. This atypical antidepressant improves mood while restoring neurotransmitter function in the brain.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: Evidence shows that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, such as Prozac and Paxil, can reduce cravings while aiding the symptoms of depression associated with meth withdrawal.
Detox Nashville Programming for Crystal Meth
We at Detox Nashville understand how to detox from meth safely and successfully. This is why we commit ourselves to providing clients with the highest level of care. We offer a variety of services as we want to ensure that every individual who walks through our doors receives the comprehensive detox treatment they deserve.
The services we provide at our inpatient detox center in Nashville, Tennessee includes:
- Holistic therapy: For the best treatment outcomes, we believe it is vital to healing a person’s mind, body, and soul. To encourage mindfulness and self-actualization, we offer yoga, meditation, massage therapy, acupuncture, aromatherapy, manual lymphatic drainage, and nutritional therapy.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT): MAT is often incorporated into clients’ detox programs. Depending on the individual’s particular needs and circumstances, the use of withdrawal medications can be quintessential in both establishing and maintaining sobriety.
- Wound care: Given that drugs such as meth lead people to pick at their skin, many enter detox with open sores. Due to the infections that can result from these sores, it is imperative to understand the importance of proper wound care. Detox Nashville offers wound care services as well as wound care education. This way, clients can continue to practice adequate care following treatment.
- Aftercare services: Detox Nashville is dedicated to the long-term success of our clients. We offer extensive aftercare services such as regular follow-ups, support groups, sober living assistance, and outpatient treatment referrals.
Crystal Meth Detox in Nashville, TN
Stop using and start living. You are capable of having the healthy and fulfilling life you deserve. Located in the Nashville, Tennessee area, we are dedicated to providing you with the help you need to achieve lasting sobriety. Our professional and passionate staff will be with you through every step of the detox process, ensuring your safety and comfort along the way.
The time to begin healing from crystal meth addiction is now. Start working towards a brighter future today by giving us a call or visiting our admissions page.